domingo, 1 de março de 2015

My Memories of Mr. Leonard Nimoy

"Spock, who?"
this would be my answer if you mentioned the pointy eared half-human, half-vulcan character of the Star Trek series. However, if "Leonard Nimoy" was said that was when I would know who you were talking about...
As you can see, differently of basically every single person of the world, I didn't meet Mr. Nimoy as Mr. Spock. I didn't even know who Mr. Spock was... "Oh, Daniella! You ignorant of pop culture! How did you know who Leonard Nimoy was, then?"
Truth is said I don't quite remember where I know Leonard Nimoy from, he was, by me, considered one of the most important actors of "old times", even thought I didn't recognize most of his work.
What I remember then is knowing how important it was that I knew his birhdate and that I was able to reconize him when seen on TV.
I don't remember the naturality of the facts because they all happened years ago, on my early teens... But I do remember seeing him on The Simpsons (and Futurama) and literally clapping hands because it was Mr. Leonard Nimoy. Now I myself ask how didn't I know about Spock before??? By "before", I mean "at that time". I actually met Spock played by Zachary Quinto, believe it or not... LAST YEAR! "OMG, DANIELLA! WERE YOU IN A COMA OR WHAT???" Don't get too surprized, or worried! When I said I met the character last year, I meant I saw him on a movie, not that I had absolutely no idea of who Spock could be! I did know he was a character on "some show", and I guess at that time I already knew Mr. Nimoy played him, but my knowledge of science ficcion was so little that nowadays I can't even be sure of my memories about it... 
Anyway, like it happened with The Three Stooges, after watching a new film I went out on searching about the first show. And I was wonderfully fascinated! Spock became my favorite character due to his ability not to express emotions and I felt a little identified by that. I began watching The Original Series on April of the last year, but since I don't have a lot of time to watch my favorite shows, I took the entire year to finish the first season (I'm watching now the second episode of the second season).
I don't have any personal explanation on why I knew Leonard Nimoy, but didn't know Spock, but I believe that due to his work and legacy, his name was known despite what brought voice to it. I'm the living proof that Mr. Leonard Nimoy wasn't only known as Mr. Spock, but also by himself. And even thought I didn't have any example of other projects he was involved with, so important he was for our culture that I grew up knowing his name.


Leonard Simon Nimoy (March 26, 1931 - February 27, 2015)
Live Long and Prosper... in our hearts!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário